

In a not so distant past I was a full time member of the Australian Army - in particular the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police. I served in Townsville and Sydney and have also been based at Kapooka and Puckapunyal. I loved my time in the service and am very proud of my achievements. I also felt exceptionally privileged to serve my country.
ANZAC Day is a day a very special day. Its a day for us to remember those who have fallen in times of war and peace and to remember those who every day put their lived in danger so we can continue to live in the country we do. I have very fond memories of ANZAC Day. I think it is so important to pass these traditions onto our children to keep the memories of the Diggers alive.
This year we attended an ANZAC Day ceremony at Tuart Hill Primary School - who were also celebrating their 100th birthday on the very same day. Its the school my husband and his siblings attended and its the school his sister and mother now work at. Its steeped in tradition and the surrounding community is full of veterans and their families as after the wars land in that area was given to returned service men and women for their homes.
The service was wonderful - I blubbed all the way through it as I do every year. The Last Post was played on a bugle which was kindly donated by School Patron Mrs Betty Green - her father played it at Villers-Bretonneux when it was liberated in 1918.
A number of wreaths were laid and Advance Australia Fair sung. it was a beautiful, community lead service which was overseen by the local RSL president.
I was proud to be an Australian, an ex-service personnel member and a member of a wonderful community on such an important day.

Tuart Hill PS - the oldest parts

Tuart Hill PS - facing onto the older classrooms.

The flag pole where the wreaths were placed.

Passing the tradition onto our kids.

Some of the lovely wreaths placed at the flag pole during the ceremony.


No comments:
Post a Comment