Saturday, April 24, 2010

Auskick Begins



Since the day Jack was born Mike has been waiting until the day he could start playing footy. And that day has finally come. Today Jack started Auskick. This is a version of Australian Rules Football for the little ones - boys and girls. After registration the kids get a pack which included a hat and a ball, some socks, footy cards and an activity book. The bag the pack comes in is great too. There is one girl who is enrolled and her hat and ball were pink!

Mike took Jack shopping for his shorts and boots - all the right brands and bought from the right places. I cant complain - both the boys were so excited.

Jack has been counting down the days from about 10 sleeps until this morning when he bolted out of bed and got dressed in his brand new footy shoes and shorts. We got to the oval and parked along with all the other cars around the edge...ahh you have to love country footy. Jack joined the group - which is about 35 kids...and the fun began.

Jack had an absolute ball...they did some skills drills to start with and then played a game. There are modified rules to include no tackling but that doesnt stop the rough and tumble of footy coming through. We have ordered some sports goggles for Jack to wear instead of his glasses as I am sure they would at some stage come off!

The game was so much fun to watch and so many parents were there. And Jack kicked 3 goals and had one assist within the goal square.

After the first goal he came off yelling Dad I kicked a goal. Then he gave Mike a massive hug - came over and gave me one - had a drink and returned to the field. By the time he was back on the paddock I was in tears. Tears of pride and joy. My baby is playing footy! Im so proud of him.

Three goals later the game was over and Jack was already asking about next week. I think Auskick will be a big big hit.

Oh and what was Lainey doing through all of this....what any little sister does when her brother is playing footy - playing in the dirt and cheering for her big brother.

I love days like today. My heart swells with pride at my family and my community. I am blessed.


2 comments:

  1. Gilly this is so sweet - I love him calling out to his dad after getting a goal.
    I think you are going to spend many more happy times on the sidelines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG Jack! It's just the best that he's having such a great time.

    ReplyDelete