Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dolly Varden Cake Part 1

Making the kids a special cake for their birthdays is something really important to me. This year for Laineys birthday I decided to purchase a Dolly Varden tin and make her the traditional dolly cake.

I baked the cake today and will ice it tomorrow. I made double quantity of butter cake and baked it low and slow (almost 2 hours at about 150 degrees). That way it cooked evenly and didnt brown too much on the top (which will be the bottom.)

As an added surprise I have made the cake pink inside...well it is for Lainey right!

So here is the cooked and cooled cake. Tonight its wrapped in plastic wrap and tin foil to keep it fresh and tomorrow I ice it....looks a bit like a christmas pudding doesnt it!






3 comments:

  1. Ahhh the treasurable dolly varden, makes for any little girls delight :)

    We did one for Jaida's 3rd birthday
    http://caljai.blogspot.com/2009/01/happy-3rd-birthday-little-princess.html

    I just bake and my husband decorates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, I remember having one of these for my third birthday. Mine was blue though.

    I'm thinking I might have to invite myself to this party Gilly - its going to be great!!!

    ReplyDelete