
This past ten days have been ones filled with illness here in our house. My poor darling 2 year old Lainey has been ill with the Salmonella and Klebsiella bugs. We think she picked it up from a particular fast food store - some treat that turned out to be.
She came down sick three days after eating there with terrible diarrhea and on the Wednesday I took her to the doctor. he thought it was a viral bowel infection but if she changed to see him again. Thursday night I took her to the hospital in town as she was passing blood from her bowels. He took samples and told us he still felt it was a VBI but to again come and see him in the morning. We did as she was no better and he recommended we take her to Princess Margaret Hospital on Sunday if no change. There wasnt so we did and they took another set of samples and sent us on our way. I was so frustrated by now....and poor Lainey was just over it.
Monday came and two phone calls came...one from PMH telling me she has salmonella and one from my GP telling me her urine sampled showed the klebsiella.
I was gutted for my poor baby - but I also knew in my heart that something had not been right and my instincts proved correct.
She is now on antibiotics and today has some colour in her face. We will have to retest some samples from her next week to make sure all is ok but the doc is expecting it to clear up with this course.
Yesterday and this morning I bleached my house...the bathroom, toilet, kitchen, fridge and floor...even though I know it wasn't from inside my home I just felt dirty. And I wanted to make up in some way for Lainey being sick.
This could have been a lot worse - life threatening even and I cant shift that from my head. I just simply take solace in the fact she is getting better and she could have been sicker.
Here is some reading for you as I knew very little about both of these bugs:
Salmonella
Klebsiella


oh poor Lainey (and Mummy), I hope she is feeling much better very soon xoxox
ReplyDeletePoor Lainey, and I know what you mean about wanting to bleach everything within an inch of its life, I'm the same when the kids are sick. I hope she is feeling much better soon.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shocking time you've been having, at least now you have the antibiotics it won't be too long until she improves.
ReplyDeleteOh no, Lainey, little lamb, get well soon. They go down so fast, hope she bounces back in no time!!
ReplyDeleteDarling Gilly, thank you so very much for the lovely scarf for HeadsUp@calvary hospital. So generous of you to spend your time making a scarf for a chemo patient, it will be happily accepted. I'm posting about it tomorrow. Kisses, love Posie
that is awful, I hope she feels better soon,
ReplyDeleteGill
Poor little chicken! Hope she recovers really quickly. Hugs to you - the best mummy! Kat xx
ReplyDelete