
Pic: Bourne website pic gallery
Today I am in mourning...no, the cat hasn't died or granny hasn't passed...Winter is sharing its last day with us for this year. Yes I know it doesn't mean we will wake up having to wear our Bermuda shorts and bikinis tomorrow and that Winters cold mornings and rainy days will linger for a small time yet, but its a sad time for me.
You see, I love Winter. I simply love it. I love its coldness, its wetness, its bleakness. I love the footy season and I love heavy hearty home cooking to sooth ones belly on a cold night. My only wish to make it better would be snow.
So now we face another hot, stinging summer. Oh sure the social nights at cricket, the afternoons relief in the town pool, the sounds of the reticulation clicking over in the yard and the cicadas chatting away are all pleasant thoughts of a season to come. But Summer also means flies, snakes and bushfires....40 degrees plus for days on end and little to no relief at night.
We will survive and whilst parting is such sweet sorrow Winter..it is never a goodbye. Retreat and rest..and come back full kilter next year.
Until then....


I'm with you Gilly. Winter is my friend too...
ReplyDeleteI love the end of winter/begining of spring, it's still cool in the evening and during the day but sunny enough to head out to the parks with rain. The 30+ degree days are just too hot for the beach but too hot to be stuck at home inside.
ReplyDeleteGood bye old friend. Good bye. You will be missed at the SK-R house too.
ReplyDelete