Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Ball Gown Project - Part One

I have been approached by my good friend Heidi to alter a ball gown bought for her daughter Tegan at an op shop.

The ball is in three weeks time and its about time I started.

I am nervous...very nervous...not so much because I think I cant do it but because I want to make sure I get it perfect. Nothing less than perfect.

So am I punching above my weight ...only time will tell!

The concept is to add an organza layer over the top of the dress, sewn in at the bust seam. Seems fairly straight forward.

Here is the dress...



It has a stain on the back so we decided on a layer of organza.

Here is a pinned version so you get the idea.



So Step One is to make a muslin so we can get an idea. I made one and it bunched at the hips and so I made another on the bias and it sits better.\



Now I just need to fit that overlay properly as ts bunching at the waist. I need to research and read,and I might even buy a commercial pattern in a similar concept.

Stray tuned for part two...and pray for me!


3 comments:

  1. Well done Gilly. You are a brave, brave woman. I made my sisters ball gown...Oh the pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I'm sure it's going to look fabbo once you have finished. I'm not sure I could even begin to imagine how to tackle this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh Gilly... THE PRESSURE!!! ;)

    Can't wait to see the finished product - an action shot of course!!!

    ReplyDelete