Wednesday, November 26, 2008

R.I.P The Television...

I haven't really done much sewing in the last few days, I have managed to cut out a few pieces for Christmas wear for Lainey and I need to finish them. I have also been playing alot with my new camera. I'm thinking of starting a new blog for my fav pics.

One thing I have been trying and succeeding so far to do is ban the television.

I walked into the lounge Monday morning to see Jack jumping on the arm of the sofa whilst staring at the television...almost trance like. That then led to time out in his room followed by me banning the television for that day, and then only when I say him and Lainey can watch it. I have allowed the kids to watch far too much television and I have found it makes Jack aggressive and unresponsive. He interacts too little and is a completely different little person.

Since the television has been turned off I have a new improved version. He is happier, more interactive, plays with Lainey and is less likely to have a tantrum or fuss when I ask him to do something. He has even gone back to having a nap at lunch time because he is engaged and busy all morning.

Now wait a minute - I'm not saying television is the route of all evil...far from it and I confess to enjoying watching it myself at night after the kids are in bed. But I was allowing Jack to watch too many hours continuously and I think it was detrimental. For my son...maybe not your children but definitely for Jack.

So....I am hoping this will be something that we can sustain. So far so good. We have done plenty of activities - this morning we made popcorn necklaces, played and just hung out. Its made for a happier Jack, a happier Lainey and a happier me.

So you cant argue with that can you!

1 comment:

  1. We have this approach in our house too. Maddie is on limited tv and I completely understand about the unresponsive trance-like state. If the tv is on then I find it difficult to get here attention away from it. I must say it is sometimes tempting to turn the tv on to get a break (particularly as I'm due our second in 2 weeks) and she hasn't napped during the day for about 6 months. I find the days when she has little or no tv we get fewer tantrums and have more fun. The more tv she watches the more she asks for it and that just leads to tantrums! Good luck with continuing the ban! I do like Playschool though, we often go off and make whatever they've been doing after the program has ended.

    ReplyDelete