Well being the school holidays we have been jaunting to and from the big smoke and generally relaxing. All is set to return to normal though as Mike goes back to work tomorrow. :(
I have been working away at a dress that I have been cooking for Lainey. I used a basic A line dress pattern and then lined it. I used a beautiful flannel material I bought in Narrogin to make some Mary Jane shoes for Lainey and then used the rest to make the dress. Here is the dress so far..it needs to be fitted, hemmed and have buttons put on the shoulders.
I have also started on the EB sewing group challenge which is a bag (or two). I know its not sexy but on my list of things to sew has been new library bags as we have recently joined a new library in the area. So last night I also made Jack this bag.
I took a pic of it with the books in it for effect. Jack loved waking up to it this morning. Its lined with calico to make it stronger and neater on the inside! I will make mine tonight.
Next on the agenda is corduroy pants for Jack and an outfit for Lainey. I will trace patterns and what not this evening whilst the Amazing Race double episode is on! Thanks to my MIL for getting me hooked on that one.
Nowwwww...onto the best part of the post. I recently borrowed from the library a Nigella Lawson cookbook called How To Be A Domestic Goddess. I was looking through it last night and came across this recipe for Coca Cola Chocolate Cake. I made it, ate a slice and am now in love...its even nicer with a scoop of ice cream! If you try it let me know!
Coca Cola Chocolate Cake
For the cake
200g plain flour
250g castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
125ml of buttermilk (although I did use normal milk..not sure if it made a diff)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
175ml Coca Cola
For the Icing
225g icing sugar
2 tablespoons (30g) butter
3 tablespoons (45ml) Coca Cola
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and put in a baking sheet at the same time. Line a 22-23cm spring form tin with al-foil to stop the cake batter leaking through and spray with cooking oil.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, bicarb, and salt. Beat an egg, buttermilk and vanilla in a measuring jug. In a heavy based saucepan (or the microwave) melt the butter, cocoa powder and Coke gently until butter is melted. Pour into the dry ingredients, stir well with a wooden spoon and then add the liquid ingredients from the jug, beating until well blended.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake on the warn sheet for 40 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
Leave to stand for 15 minutes in the tin before unmoulding. Then unclip, unwrap and turn out onto a wire rack, making sure you have a sheet of newspaper or something underneath the rack to collect the icing that will drip off it later.
Sieve the icing sugar and set aside. In a heavy based saucepan (or the microwave) combine the butter, Coca Cola and cocoa powder until melted. remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Then spoon in the icing sugar and beat until you have a good spreadable but still runny icing mix.
Pour this over the cake whilst it is still warm and then leave to cool completely. place on serving plate. Great on its own, or with something yummy like ice cream.
Thanks Nigella!!!
If you try that let me know what you think. Ok off now to walk to the post office as Lainey has awoken from her slumber. Then lunch, patterns and mor sewing. Ahh the good life!
xxxGilly


Love the dress and the bag! Thanks for the cake receipe, have written it down to try (like I need to eat more cake!)
ReplyDeleteWow, the dress and bag are awesome! Well done! The coke cake sounds wierd but I'll give it a try!
ReplyDeleteI have that book too but have never made the cake. I'll have to give it a try now that you have made it sound so good!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the apple suggestions. I never thought of drying them. That is a great idea. I have knocked off a few dozen of them but still have a stack to go... :)
Kerryn